Monday, January 2, 2012

Sleep

One of the great challenges that has always faced my marriage is sleep...or the lack thereof.  My wife is a very light sleeper, and I am a very loud snorer (or so I am told.  I don't remember for myself, as I am typically asleep at the time).

But a deeper challenge has been my own commitment to a reasonable bedtime.  I have been unable to set a consistent bedtime and arise time, and stick to it.  It has been a source of immense frustration to me, as I know I would do better as a husband (and father) if I were sufficiently rested.  I don't really want to wait for the kids to go to college before that happens.  But then again, that is just an excuse.  The sleep issue is with me, not my wife or children.

As I have pondered and read, I have come to wonder if lack of love supplies is causing my self-induced insomnia.  As if I am staying up late in an attempt to fill a void in my life.  Whatever I am striving to fill, the way I am going about it now is not working.  As the saying goes, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over hoping for different results.

The Lord is the One who can fill the void inside.  I need to be reminded of this frequently.  I was not raised in the Christian faith (although my mother did teach me good values and standards).  I still forget to call upon the Lord for strength or comfort when needed.  This is something I wish to improve on, as He repeatedly tells us to ask, seek, and knock.

I would write more, but I am tired, and I think that a good night's sleep would help more than blogging would.

No comments:

Post a Comment